If you live in a property that is in a state of disrepair, you may be entitled to compensation. If you can’t afford to make the repairs yourself, you can take legal action against your landlord. If you’re unhappy with the condition of your property, you can also claim damages for the loss of amenity in your home.

Compensation for housing disrepair

If your housing is in a state of disrepair, you may be entitled to compensation. In most cases, the compensation is calculated as a percentage of the rent charged by your landlord. The amount depends on the severity of the disrepair and the length of time you were subject to it. Alternatively, you may be entitled to compensation even if someone else was paying your rent.

Housing disrepair is the failure to keep your property in a fit state of repair. You have a legal right to live in a property that is free from mould, damp, and other health hazards. It is your landlord’s duty to keep the premises in good condition, but if you have complained about a condition you have found to be unsafe, you may be able to claim compensation.

Legal costs

The cost of bringing a housing disrepair claim is rising at an alarming rate across the

  1. Over the last five years alone, over 17,000 claims have been made against English councils. These cases have resulted in compensation payouts of over PS55.1 million.

Many tenants have found themselves forced to take legal action because of landlord negligence and a lack of response from councils. According to Lambeth London Borough Council, the number of housing disrepair lawyers  claims filed against it increased by more than six hundred per cent in the last four years. As a result, the council has had to pay out around PS3 million in defence and legal costs.

Loss of amenity

When your social housing property is falling into disrepair, you may be able to claim compensation for the loss of amenity. This is a legal right, and the housing association has a duty to ensure the state of their properties is reasonable. If they fail to do this, they may be held liable for your injuries. To make sure that your claim is successful, you should consult with a housing disrepair expert. These specialists will understand the legalities involved in poor housing conditions, and they can give you guidance and support in the process.

In addition to the financial damages, you can also claim for any inconvenience caused to you by the lack of amenity. For example, if you are unable to shower or access hot water in your home, you may be forced to take a shower in a local leisure centre, which is not convenient and could cause you mental distress.